OAU Introduces Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB)
JUPEB BackgroundJUPEB is a National Examination body saddled with the responsibility of conducting examinations for students, who have undergone approved subject combinations and are seeking Direct Entry admissions into Nigerian and partnering foreign tertiary institutions.
To be eligible to take examinations leading to the award of JUPEB's Direct Entry Certificates, the candidate must have been exposed to an intensive scheme of academic work relevant to his/her proposed university course.
- Each candidate must register, sit for Examinations and satisfy the Board in three subjects and a General Studies course relevant to the proposed course in any of the universities.
- Each subject is to be broken into four courses to be taken, two per semester, by the candidate. The results in all the courses are to be merged at the end of the second semester to obtain the candidate's grade in that particular subject.
- Each candidate is expected to take twelve (12) courses, six per semester, and a General Studies course.
- The general Studies for courses in each University Faculty will be based on relevant General courses suggested for that Faculty by each university.
- The students upon completion of the programme will be issued certificates based on their level of perfoemance which bear Letter Grades of A, B, C, D, E or F in each of the three subjects and General Studies Paper.
Programme DescriptionThe programme is an intensive coaching curriculum aims at ensuring adequate exposure to fundamentals of concepts and preparation of eligible students for University direct entry admission and a good head-start for University work. The courses of study which are those of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) subjects include English Language which is compulsory for all students, Government, Literature in English, Christian Religious Studies, Mathematics, Economics, Geography, Government and History. Students are required to choose three subjects in addition to English. The certificate obtained by graduates of the programme will be tenable in several universities in Nigeria and in some foreign universities.
Admission is based strictly on merit and entry requirements and in proportion to the admission quota of the University for the various Faculties.
Students are admitted into the JUPEB Programme under the following broad options and subject combinations:
|Arts||Government/Literature in English/Christian Religious Studies (GLCRS)|
|History/ Literature/ Christian Religious Studies (HLCRS)|
|Economics/ Government/Literature in English (EGL)|
|Social Sciences||Economics/Government/Mathematics (EGM)|
- To source superior students for the University’s degree programmes and stem the high rate of dropouts from the University.
- To ensure adequate preparation of eligible secondary school graduates for University work.
- To enhance analytical and independent learning abilities and promote the intellectual development as well as oral and written skills of students.