World’s First Head Transplant A Success after Nineteen Hour Operation | OAU Peeps
.

World’s First Head Transplant A Success after Nineteen Hour Operation

A 36-year-old man has undergone the world’s first successful head transplant. The ground-breaking op...

A 36-year-old man has undergone the world’s first successful head transplant. The ground-breaking operation took a team of surgeons 19 hours to complete and has allowed the patient to be cancer-free.

Paul Horner, who was diagnosed with bone cancer five years ago, was on the verge of death when he was approved for the controversial and possibly deadly operation.

Doctor Tom Downey, who was part of the South African team who carried out the operation, told CNN he is thrilled about the results. “It’s a massive breakthrough. We’ve proved that it can be done – we can give someone a brand new body that is just as good, or better, than their previous one.

The success of this operation leads to infinite possibilities.”

Surgeons at Charlotte Maxexe Johannesburg Academic Hospital in SA did the operation in February but had to wait until they could confirm it was successful before they made any public statement.

Downey spoke to reporters on the complexity behind the first ever head transplant. “This procedure is another excellent example of how medical research, technical know-how and patient-centered care can be combined in the quest to relieve human suffering.”

The operation was led by Professor Myron Danus and took place on February 10, 2015.

“Our goal is for Horner to be fully functional in two years and so far we are very pleased by his rapid recovery,” said prof. Danus. “Before the operation, Horner’s body was riddled with cancer and he had less than a month to live. We were fortunate enough to find a donor body; a 21-year-old man who has been brain dead from a serious car accident that happened in 2012. The boys body worked just fine, but his brain was not functioning whatsoever, and there was absolutely no chance of recovery.

He added: “We received approval from the young man’s parents to use their sons body to do the operation. They were extremely happy their son could save a life even in the vegetated state that he was in.”

The man, Horner, has made 85% recovery; walking, talking, doing things a healthy individual does.




Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/11/mans-head-cut-off-in-worlds-first-successful-head-transplant/


Video: https://youtu.be/5_sCUM0PfOk[/quote]


Related

Top News 5042280380581111518

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Connect Us On Facebook

Connect Us On Twitter

Custom Search

Our Google+ Followers

Advertise Here

FOR YOUR ADVERT PLACEMENT & PROMOTION, SEND US A MAIL AT campaign@oaupeeps.com or call us on 08138276857

Comments

Hot in week

Blog Archive

item