OAU Drops Out Of Nigeria's Top 10 In the Latest University Ranking
In the recently released Webometric University Ranking, the crisis ridden Obafemi Awolowo Univers...
The openness ranking of World universities for the second half of 2016, within which less than 50 Nigerian universities were included has Harvard University (USA) coming first in the world as usual.
Nigeria's usual best university however dropped from the third position it occupied before to the 11th spot.
Below is the list of the top 30 Nigerian universities in the Webometrics 2016 Openness ranking for world universities. Their respective world ranks are those enclosed within brackets.
1. University of Nigeria, Nsukka. UNN (1433)
2. University of Ibadan, Ibadan. UI (1613)
3. University of Ilorin, Ilorin. UNILORIN (2114)
4. Covenant University, Ota. CU (2161)
5. Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka. UNIZIK (2173)
6. University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt. UNIPORT (2190)
7. University of Lagos, Lagos. UNILAG (2243)
8. University of Calabar, Calabar. UNICAL (2333)
9. University of Agriculture, Abeokuta. UNAAB (2364)
10. Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. ABU (2372)
11. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. OAU (2473)
12. Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso. LAUTECH (2585)
13. University of Uyo, Uyo. UNIUYO (2655)
14. Federal University of Technology, Minna. FUTMINNA (2682)
15. University of Benin, Ugbowo. UNIBEN (2703)
16. Federal University of Technology, Akure. FUTA (2835)
17. Bayero University, Kano. BUK (2909)
18. Redeemer’s University, Mowe. RUN (2937)
19. Lagos State University, Ojo. LASU (2939)
20. Osun State University, OSU (3074)
21. University of Jos, Jos. UNIJOS (3173)
22. Federal University, Ndufu-Alike Ikwo. FUNAI (3242)
23. Rivers State University of Science & Technology, Port Harcourt. RSUT (3295)
24. Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti. ABUAD (3330)
25. Landmark University, Omu-aran LU (3422)
26. Federal University of Technology, Owerri. FUTO (3423)
27. Enugu State University of Technology, Enugu. ESUT (3433)
28. University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri. UNIMAID (3465)
29. Federal University of Dutsin Ma, Dutsin-Ma (3478)
30. Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. MOUA (3515).
Although no Nigerian university was among the first 1000 in the world, University of Nigeria ranked highest of the Nigerian universities on the list, followed by University of Ibadan, University of Ilorin and Covenant University respectively.
Openness refers to the total number of pdf files of a university according to google. It relies on information (statistics) of web publications of a University for a Specific period of time; available on google scholar. It therefore based on volume of research articles published by a university.
The quantity of google scholarly articles a university has reveals how much of research is being conducted by the university; which is what openness ranking is all about – a university’s research output.
Openness rank is a part of the many indicators that make up several university rankings, others being excellence, presence and visibility; for Webometrics. Although it does not exactly specify the impact of the research papers a university has; the openness indicator however reveals the extent to which a school is engaged in research, which is what world class institutions are known for.