Elujoba Constitutes Task Force To Unravel Causes Of VC Selection Crisis
The Acting Vice Chancellor of Obafemi Awolowo University, Professor Anthony Elujoba has set up a task force to review the facts and circum...
The Acting Vice Chancellor of Obafemi Awolowo University, Professor Anthony Elujoba has set up a task force to review the facts and circumstances surrounding the crises that engulfed the University as a result of the selection process of a new Vice-Chancellor for the University.
In a statement signed by the Secretary to the Task Force, V. C. Ohalete, the task force is referred to as “Task Force On The Crises In The University In 2016 Arising From The Selection Process Of A New Vice-Chancellor For The University”.
Here are the terms of reference of the committee:
1. To review the facts and circumstances surrounding the crises that engulfed the University as a result of the selection process of a new Vice-Chancellor for the University.
2. To find out the remote and immediate cause(s) of the crises.
3. To determine the cause, roles played by any individual members or groups of individuals internal and external to the University, e.g. members of staff, students, staff unions, a well as other stakeholders within or outside the University.
4. To determine the course, ways, manners and purpose of the protests or assemblies during the crises, draw up lessons learnt and to make suggestions on how to prevent future occurrence.
5. To make recommendations on how best to conduct a hitch-free, peaceful and generally acceptable selection process for the next Vice-Chancellor within the legal framework of the University autonomy.
6. To submit its report to the Acting Vice-Chancellor within the next two weeks from the date hereof.
“In order to successfully accomplish its objectives and Terms of Reference, the Task Force hereby solicits memoranda and/or oral presentations from members of the University Community.
“Typewritten memoranda (including names, addresses and telephone numbers or their writers) should be submitted to the Secretary of the Task Force (Mr. V.C. Ohalete, Faculty Secretary, Faculty of Administration, 08035731839) not later than 12.00 noon on Friday, 16th September, 2016. Please note that no anonymous (un-named/unsigned) memoranda would be entertained.
“Members of the Community willing to give oral presentations to the Task Force should please submit their names, addresses and titles of their oral presentations to the Task Force Secretary within the deadline given above. Each oral presentation will be limited to ten (10) minutes only.
“Please note this clarification that the Task Force is only a Fact-Finding body with no powers or mandate to probe, and the confidentiality of all memoranda and oral presentations will be strictly ensured.” the statement further stated.
Recall, OAU Peeps News Agency reported that, members of OAU Staff Unions, including Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and the Non Academic Staff Union of Universities (NASU) protested the Vice Chancellor selection process which produced Professor Ayobami Salami as the VC. This caused the closure of the institution for weeks.