"Smelly Feet"- 'Dami
For some people, taking off their shoes in someone's home or in a public place is forbidden because it could cause some sort of discom...
For some people, taking off their shoes in someone's home or in a public place is forbidden because it could cause some sort of discomfort among people around. This is as a result of having smelly feet.
Smelly feet, also known as Bomodosis is when a foul odour is emitted into the air after pulling off one's shoes. It is a common thing which could happen to anyone. Two things occur in the existence of smelly feet: sweat and bacteria. The cause of this foul odour is not the sweat, but the bacteria that thrives in the moist environment. Hence, It is not the sweat from the gland that smells but the bacteria which causes this.
Causes Of Smelly Feet
Smelly feet could be caused by various reasons which people in the society care less about and these are:
1) Poor personal hygiene: An individual who cares less about his personal hygiene and doesn't take hygienic measures could possibly suffer from smelly feet.
2) Putting on the same pair of shoes everyday: An individual who puts on the same pair of shoes everyday is at the risk of having a smelly feet since sweat soaks into the shoes and one puts them on without allowing it to dry.
3) Hyperhidrosis: This is a medical condition whereby a person sweats excessively and unpredictably even if the whether is cold. Such is also at the risk of having smelly feet
Ways Of Preventing Smelly Feet
1) Wash feet thoroughly and regularly with soap and water especially between toes.
2) Get rid of dead skin on the feet and keep toe nails trimmed and clean to reduce bacteria
3) Do not wear the same pair of shoes all the time.
4) Make sure clean socks are put on regularly.
5) Sprinkle your shoes with odour fighting powder such as baking soda
6) Spray your feet with antiperspirants before pitting on your shoes.
7) Avoid getting your shoes wet.
(Ayantayo-Ojo Damilola is a student of the Faculty of Arts and a member of the OAU Peeps Team)