English Language – Past Questions
Use of English Language
2006 POST UME SCREENING TEST
From the words lettered A - E, choose the word that is alike in meaning to the word underlined.
1. The man is known to be a sly. I won’t trust him with anything. This means the man is known as a
2. The woman was happy because her gorgeous dressing made her quite obtrusive. The woman was very
3. Andrew made some bellicose statement about his strength to other boys in the street. This means that Andrew
(a) is a brave man
(b) Wishes to fight
(c) is a coward
(d) loves to help others with his power
(e) has a lot of power
4. Scrupulous politicians do not have a place in the Nigerian politics. Scrupulous politicians are (a) honest
5. The excuse that he forgot about the meeting was a flimsy one. This means the excuse was
(a) very bad
(b) a complete lie
(c) difficult to believe
(d) not important
(e) a very good one
From the alternatives suggested, select the answer that best expresses the same meaning as the expression italicized in each exercise.
6. I wonder if you would allow me to put out the fire.
(a) I might
(b) I can
(c) I should
(d) I have to
(e)All of them
7. Don’t take the plate away; it is possible for the owner to ask for it.
(a) the owner might
(b) the owner can
(c) the owner is going to
(d) the owner will come to
(e) none of them
8. I know a carpenter that knows how to make that kind of wardrobe
(b) has the – know-how
(d) can be able
(e) may be able to
9. Frances, where is your male visitor? Don’t lie to me, it is not possible that he has gone through the high window.
(a) he couldn’t have
(b) he can’t have
(c) he shouldn’t
(d) he mustn’t have
(e) None of them
10. When your great-grandmother was in Vietnam, did she have the ability to speak Chinese?
(a) had she been able
(b) was she enabled
(c) could she
(d) how possible was it for her
(e) None of them
11. My father made no bones about telling his friend how he felt about his behaviour. This means that my father
(a) spoke well to his friend about his behaviour
(b) spoke honestly to his friend about his behaviour
(c) spoke in the open to his friend about his behaviour
(d) spoke hesitantly to his friend about his behaviour
(e) spoke with all his might to his friend about has behaviour
12. After much talk, my brother thought it was to hit the hay. This means that my brother thought it was time to
(a) make hay while the sun shines
(b) burn the collection of hay
(c) go to bed
(d) keep quiet
(e) tell the others off
13. The housemaster was foaming in the mouth when he discovered the some students had sneaked out of t6he hostel. This means the house master
(a) was very sad
(b) had epilepsy
(c) became silent and calculative
(d) was uncontrollably furious
(e) was jittery
14. Who told Mabel she could sing? She really laid an egg at the talent show. This means
(a) Mabel’s performance was very embarrassing
(b) Mabel’s performance was very interesting
(c) Mabel’s performance was very impressive
(d) Mabel’s performance was not very bad
(e) Mabel’s performance was like that of a hen laying an egg
15. Mr. Johnson is on the warpath because his car broke down again. This means Mr. Johnson is
(a) ready to fight his mechanic
(b) started fighting the government because the road was bad
(c) very infuriated
(d) fighting a war with his family in the car
(e) drawing a battle in between him and his mechanic
For questions 16-20, choose among the options A - E the word that is nearest in meaning to the italicized word in each of the sentences.
16. As he watched the winning film his face remained inscrutable.
(d) impossible to please
17. He resented being criticized every time by his boss.
(d) carefully considered
18. The President announced that all political prisoners have been pardoned.
(b) severely rebuked
19. The most striking thing about the just-concluded World-Cup Final in Germany was the complete eclipse of the defending champion – Brazil
(a) sudden disappearance
(d) brilliant performance
20. His latest album has done much to boast his reputation as a writer
For question 21 - 25, choose from the options A - E the word or phrase opposite in
meaning to the underlined word.
21. Andrew is too garrulous for my liking
(d) easy going
22. The man holds parochial view on almost every issue.
(d) broad- minded
23. The doctor certified the tumour malignant
24. The people appreciated the chairman for his invaluable contributions to the community’s development.
25. Your idea on this issue seems to me quite novel.
26. Which of the following statements is true with regard to summary writing?
(a) Details are more important than main ideas
(b) Main ideas are more important than examples
(c) Illustrations are more important than main ideas
(d) Elaborations, exemplifications and details are more important than main ideas
(e) None of the above
Choose the appropriate option to complete the following:
27. God should take control of the heart of the organizers of this Post-UME screening exercise, they should not make this test ________than UME
(a) more tough
(b) more tougher
(c) much tougher
(d) more much tougher
28. At the crusade, we prayed to God to ______________this on us
(a) breath His breathe
(b) breathe His breath
(c) breathe His breathe
(d) breath His breath
29. The Chairman, Committee of Deans needs to see your friend Dele urgently, do you know his?
(a) where and about
(b) where abouts
(c) where about
(d) where and abouts
30. “As from now, this university will have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice” said the Vice- Chancellor. The Vice-Chancellor said that
(a) as from then, that university would have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
(b) as from how, this university would have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
(c) as from then, his university will have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
(d) as from then, that university would begin to have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
31. The teacher took me for one of those students who could not spell such words as
(a) ‘miscellaneous and maintenance’
(b) ‘miscellaneous and maintenance’
(c) ‘miscellaneous and maintenance’
(d) ‘miscellaneous and maintenance’
Click here to check the answers