Friday, 9 January 2015

2015 General Election: Some OAU Students May Not Be Able To Vote

With about 35 days to the start of the 2015 General Elections, many registered voters may not be able to vote if they relocate from the constituency where they registered as voters except their voter's registrations are transferred to their new locations. This may affect many Great Ife students who reside outside Ife and had their voters registration done on campus. 

Another important reason why you need to transfer your registration to the exact constituency where you will be residing during the election is the usual restriction of movement. Some people registered where they will have to transport themselves a very long distance to be able to vote. Movement restriction on those election days may not favour this.

Do you fall in any of these categories of registered voters, below are the simple steps to transfer your voters registration:

Step 1
- The person who intends to transfer his registration will write an application to INEC’s Resident Electoral Commissioner of the State where he is currently residing.

Step 2
- The applicant will attach his voters card to the application.

Step 3
- The applicant must apply to the Resident Electoral Commissioner not later than 30 days before the date of an election in the constituency where he is residing.

Step 4
- The Resident Electoral Commissioner will direct the Electoral Officer of the applicants Local Government Area to enter his name in the transferred voters list.

Step 5
- The Electoral Officer will assign the applicant to a polling unit in his constituency.
Step 6
- The Electoral Officer will issue the applicant with a new voters card

Step 7
- The Electoral officer will retrieve the applicants previous voters card

Step 8
- He will then send a copy of the entry to the Electoral officer of the constituency where the person whose name has been so entered was originally registered.

Step 9
- Upon receipt of this entry, that Electoral Officer shall delete the name from his voters list.

NB: Apart from State Headquarters Offices of INEC, applicants can also submit their applications at the INEC Office in their Local Government Areas. The applications will be forwarded to the Resident Electoral Commissioner for necessary action. Also note that application for transfer of Voter's Registration must be done 30 days prior to any election.
Previous Post
Next Post