Saturday, 19 June 2021

Sickle Cell Awareness Day

 By Akpoyovwaire Aghogho Uniquette

World sickle cell day is United Nation recognized day to raise awareness of sickle cell at a national level and international level. Sickle cell disorder is recognized as a public health and one of the most world's foremost genetic disorders.

Sickle cell disorder is an inherited disorder that affects the hemoglobin in the red blood cells which causes the red blood cells to be malformed in shaped, rigid and breakdown easily. This malformed red blood cells leads to severe excruciating pain called a pain crisis.

Sickle cell disorder is inherited from both parents who have sickle cell trait genotype AS or AC leading to the birth of a their child with  either SS  or SC genotype.

Sickle cell disorder has a lot of effects to a sickle cell warrior and their family; we have the

1. Physical effect: pain, delayed growth, complications like leg ulcer, stroke, acute chest syndrome, jaundice.

2. Emotional effect: low self-esteem, anger against parents and against God and so on.

3. Financial effect: a lot of medical bills to pay.

4. Social effect: stigmatization from society, not been able to meet the demand of the society.

It is advisable for everyone to know their genotype especially because going into a serious relationship leading to marriage. Doing this enables you to know what you are getting involved with before going into marriage.

Genotype probability and compatibility:

AA + AA = 100% chance normal children.  (Excellent)

AA + AS = 50% chance normal children and 50% chance trait children (AS) (very good)

AA + SS = 25% chance trait children.   (Good)

AS + AS = 25% chance normal children , 50% chance trait children and 25% chance sickled children (fair)

AS + SS = 50% chance trait children 50% chance sickle children (bad)

SS + SS = 100% chance sickled children (very bad)

All these are probability of a single pregnancy, so you cannot determine which probability will happen to you, know your genotype.

Nigeria has the highest burden of sickle cell disorder in the world with over 150,000 babies born annually. One in two babies born with sickle cell disorder is Nigerian with only 5% of these children live past the age of 10 years. There is a lot myth and misconceptions about sickle cell disorder and below are the most common myth with the fact concerning the myth.

Myth 1: Only Black people suffer from SCD

Fact: SCD does not discriminate based on ethnicity or skin color; sickle cell can affect any race and person on the planet.

 Myth #2: It is a contagious blood-borne disorder

Fact: SCD is a genetic condition present at birth. Sickle cell disorder is not transferable it is inherited.

Myth #3: People with the disorder are immune to malaria.

Fact: Malaria may contribute to higher mortality rates among people with SCD in Africa.

Myth #4: People exaggerate SCD pain for access to drugs

Fact: The most common symptom of SCD is severe pain. This pain often does not respond to over-the-counter pain medicines, so people with SCD may need opioids to provide relief.

Myth #5: Sickle cell trait is a mild or early form of sickle cell disease

Fact: Sickle cell trait is different from SCD. A person with sickle cell trait inherits only 1 abnormal hemoglobin gene, while a person with SCD inherits 2 abnormal hemoglobin genes.

Myth #6: There is no cure for sickle cell disorder

Fact: There is a cure and the only cure so far to sickle cell disorder which is bone marrow transplant also known as a stem cell transplant. It involves replacing damaged cells in the body with healthy ones.

Wednesday, 9 June 2021

Obafemi Awolowo University Celebrates Diamond Jubilee

Obafemi Awolowo University Celebrates Diamond Jubilee

By Onyekpe Okechukwu Derrick

Obafemi Awolowo University popularly known as “Greatest Ife” or “of the greatest GBA GBA” turned 60 on Tuesday 8th June, 2021. With a week-long event, the university celebrated 60 years of absolute excellence in the academic world. 
The school has produced a lot of notable and respected alumni such as David Mark, Gov Akeredolu; Governor of Ondo state, Dr Femi Adesina, Femi Otedola, Ibukunle Awosika, Pastor E.A Adeboye and many more. This goes to show that the school has produced graduates who are holding notable places in almost all sectors in and outside the country.
 The Diamond jubilee celebration started on Sunday, 6th June 2021 with an interdenominational church service at All Soul’s Chapel, religion  ground and will end on Friday 11th June 2021 with a Jumat service at OAU Central Mosque. 
The university management still set examples for the students on reverencing the power of God. On Sunday, prayers and thanks were given for the achievement and prayers were rendered for the years to come.
A press conference followed on Monday, 8th June 2021 at Floor ‘O’ of the university hall. Here, notable members of both the academic and non-academic staffs and students were in attendance; The V.C Prof Eyitope Ogunbodede, The Registrar Mrs. M.I Omosule, and The Public Relation Officer of the University, Abiodun Olanrewaju. 

The program on Monday was anchored by Abiodun Olanrewaju. It kicked off with the recognition of guests and dignitaries for their presence at the event. The
singing of the national anthem and the ever melodious school anthem followed. A welcome address was offered by Professor Charles Ukeje the chairman, 60th anniversary celebrations committee. He thanked everyone for their presence and explained what the celebration signifies. This was followed by a beautiful performance from the dramatic arts students. The Vice Chancellor of the school Professor Eyitope Ogunbodede , who able to address the attendees and in his words;
“We have had a wonderful 60 years, just as we are celebrating let us also plan ahead for the next 60 years”. 
His speech was short, precise and fun. 
The department of music orchestra gave a euphonious   performance. The Pro chancellor and chairman of the council,  Owelle Oscar Udoji  also addressed the school. He started with a quote for the students;
“It doesn’t matter where you are coming from or where you start from all that matters are you know where you are going to”

He also agreed that the accommodation situation on campus was in a deplorable state, he promised that the council under his leadership would work better to sort accommodations for students before the end of the year 2021.
The unveiling of the 60th logo was accompanied with great cheering as the Vice Chancellor and Owelle Oscar Udoji  both unveiled the logo. Pictures were taken with dignitaries and guests in attendance. 

Also, the anniversary cake was cut after the spelling of ‘OAU at Sixty’.  The Kegites club International Headquarters Ile Ife came out with the last performance of the day.To end the event, the national anthem was observed again. The event was an enjoyable and notable one. It was a perfect fit for OAU at Sixty. 
The event continues on Wednesday, 9th June 2021 with a Novelty Football match at Main Bowl, Sport Center.

Monday, 7 June 2021

OAU Announces Harmattan Semester Break

OAU Announces Harmattan Semester Break

By Abidemi Abeeb Abimo 

Obafemi Awolowo University has released a circular on the 2 weeks break. It was stated that 2019/2020 harmattan semester examinations were concluded on the 5th of the June 2021, and the students are expected to be on break from 7th to 18th of June, 2021.

It should be noted that the university is monitoring the federal government COVID-19 protocol detectives. Other information on resumption will be provided after the meeting of the University senate scheduled for 16th of June.

The school management appreciate the staffs and students for their cooperation for the success of just concluded harmattan period. Happy vacations to everyone.