Wednesday, 9 February 2022

Remain Calm and Law Abiding, The Police have been Briefed And Are Investigating: OAU Vice Chancellor


By Ayomide Emmanuel

The obafemi Awolowo University management has reacted to the death of Miss Ajibola Heritage Ayomikun a part two student of the Department of Linguistics and African Languages, who died due to the poor management of hostel by the hostel management. 

In a release made available to OAU Peeps News Agency, the Spokeman of the University, Mr Abiodun Olanrewaju said that the University Management is saddened by the unfortunate incidence. 

He however, made mention that the University management mobilised the fire men from the University,  when the news got to them. Who through concerted efforts got the student out and was immediately rushed to the OAU Teaching Hospitals Complex where she was certified dead. 

Furthermore, the Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof Eyitope Ogunbodede, led his management team to the scene, and sympathised with the students and commiserated with the parents of the deceased. 

Addressing the issue, the Vice Chancellor described the incidence as tragic and unacceptable, promised to critically look into the circumstances that led to the student's death and mete out appropriate sanctions against those involved or whoever is found culpable. 

Speaking further, the Vice Chancellor appealed to the students to remain calm and law abiding as police, have been briefed and are also investigating  

Back Story 

The late hours of February 9th 2022 turned out to be a sad day for the students of Obafemi Awolowo University as a student from the department of Linguistics and african laguages lost her life due to inadequies of hostel management. Heritage Ajibola who fell into a soakaway at Bver Hostel,Maintenace Hostels has been confirmed dead 

Eyewitness said that she was with her friends spreading clothes when she got stuck in a hole leading into the soakaway, before the friends could go to call for help she had already fallen into it.

Even with the presence of OAU,OAUTHC and Osun state fire services, it took well up to 30mins before they could get her out of the soakaway . only to be discovered that the cause of the collapse was a termite eaten wood which was used to cover the soakaway.

However Reacting to the incident, the Great Ife Student Union describes the incident as highly unfortunate. And could have been avoided if the soakaway system was properly constructed and covered.

Previous Post
Next Post